Saturday 9 May 2015

The “Engagement” idea in Egypt

Before I start anything about what I want to say, I have to mention that I am engaged.

Almost any girl that turns 18 or 19 here in Egypt, first thing she starts thinking about is how she really wants to get engaged and if she is single and not with someone by that time, then it’s the end of the world for her and she isn’t going to get married anymore.

Here in this situation I could only use the term “Only In Egypt”. This term is used towards things or beliefs you will never find anywhere except in Egypt.

Getting married or engaged does not have a specific time and that’s what girls need to understand!
We find out everyday something new about the people here that basically only they believe in.
Yes maybe you are all thinking to yourself now ‘why is she even talking, she is 21 and engaged?’ I admit I got engaged early and maybe just like the other girls nowadays but I grew up not thinking about it for a minute. I never felt for a second like I wanted to get married or engaged or even have it on my mind. It just happened. Till I actually got engaged and for maybe months later I was still not convinced ‘I am actually engaged’. My family were against me being engaged till I finish college years ago and when I opened up the topic a year ago with them as a joke, they didn’t disagree or said I am young or so, they agreed and they wanted it more than me because since he was the person for me, then so what?

And this is exactly my point, engagement does not have to be planned, like ‘Oh when I am 19, I will be engaged’ NO! No you do not HAVE to be engaged by then, maybe you will be a year or 10 years later. It should never be planned this way. IT IS NOT A TREND. Everything happens for a reason and when it’s time then it’s time, for anything, not just this issue, but for everything in life.
Getting engaged is a trend now in Egypt and if you are not engaged then your friends might make you feel like you have a problem or something in you is just MISSING.

Engagement isn’t the most beautiful time in life, as many people in Egypt believe. Actually it isn’t enjoyable at all. Ask me. Girls always think like they will have the freedom to go out with their fiancée’s and do whatever they want when it’s the total opposite. That’s not what engagement is only about. They take over your life. That is MY personal opinion. Whether men take over our lives, or we do. It’s basically the same. Not fun. You feel like OH SHIT, now I don’t have to just ask mum and dad to do something or go somewhere, now I have to first ask my fiancée too. And this is the worst part.

To cut it short girls:
My point here is, don’t get all excited for engagement. It’s shit.


No comments:

Post a Comment